Interested in buying your first donkey (or adding to the fold) and live in California?
Checking them out and collecting them in person, without having to travel too far, can be a good move.
I’ve spent some time digging up many legit places selling donkeys all over California.
Check out the farms and ranches listed below and see if you can find a great new farmyard pet.
14 Places With Donkeys For Sale In California
|Seein’ Spots Farm||Solvang, CA||805-688-2275||seeinspotsfarm.com|
|Gail’s Mini Donkey Ranch||Los Molinos, CA||530 384-1318||minidonkeys.com|
|Austin’s Miniature Longears||Cottonwood, CA||530 347-4457||austinslongears.com|
|Green Acre Ranch||Coarsegold, CA||559-683-4375||members.sti.net/greenacreranch/|
|Rockin H Ranch||Bakersfield CA||661-343-2962||rockinhranch.com|
|Mossy Oak Miniature Donkeys||Lincoln, CA||916-803-9915||momsdonkeys.com|
|Love That Ass Registered Miniature Donkeys|
|Mini G Farm||San Bernardino, CA||951-240-8393||minifarmanimals.com|
|Wee Ass Haven||Moreno Valley, CA||951-440-3082||weasshaven.com|
|Rancho Rhea||Cottonwood CA||530-527-8912||Ranchorhea@yahoo.com|
|Faithful Friends Mini Donkeys & Mules||Ione, CAemail@example.com|
|Shooting Star Acres||Pleasanton, CA||925–firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Russell Ranch||Whitmore, CAemail@example.com|
|Du Plessis Farms||Tulare, CAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Seein’ Spots Farm
Located in the Santa Ynez Valley, 30 miles north of Santa Barbara, Seein’ Spots started out in 1998 raising and selling donkeys to the public..
The site regularly lists donkeys for sale and provides all the information about their jennings.
- Website: seeinspotsfarm.com
- Contact: 407-358-9697
- Address: 2599 Baseline Avenue, Solvang, CA 93463
Gail’s Mini Donkey Ranch
Situated in northern California, Gails Mini Donkey Ranch has been running since 1993. They are members of the American Donkey and Mule Society and the National Miniature Donkey Association.
The website lists all the donkeys they have for sale (including those already sold) and gives all the relevant information on jennings and herdsires…
The ranch is also fairly active on YouTube. Here they are documenting their 2019 donkey babies playing around…
- Website: minidonkeys.com
- Contact: 530 384-1318
- Address: 8311 Marek Road Los Molinos, CA 96055
Austin’s Miniature Longears
Austin’s has been in the Cottonwood area since 1978. It started raising miniatures in 2001 with two jennets. Now the farm is home to over 25 donkeys.
Most years they have a couple of new foals up for sale.
Here’s some of the examples on their sales page…
- Website: austinslongears.com
- Contact: 530-347-4457
- Address: 17100 Austin Ln. Cottonwood, Calif. 96022
Green Acre Ranch
This ranch is a member of the American Donkey and Mule Society. They produce miniature donkeys and red sheep. Green Acre has been running since 2004.
One of their pride jennets is Rearview’s Sue Ellen. Here’s how she’s described on their website…
- Website: members.sti.net/greenacreranch/
- Contact: 559-683-4375
- Address: 45672 Windmill Road, Coarsegold, CA 93614
Rockin H Ranch
Rockin H Ranch breed miniature mediterranean donkeys out of Bakersfield. They focus on quality not quantity. They like to keep their herds small but each of their babies has a parent who’s a National Miniature Donkey Association (NMDA) champion.
Here’s what the website has to say about their bloodlines…
Check out their Facebook page for more up to date news.
- Website: https://www.rockinhranch.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Rockin-H-Ranch-116674638534277/
- Contact: 559-683-4375
- Address: 1048 Emigrant Pass Road, Bakersfield CA 93308
Mossy Oak Miniature Donkeys
Mossy Oak was started by retired dentists 20 years ago who decided to move out to the country and become farmhands.
They specialize in producing miniatures and are committed to raising them with nurture and care.
Here’s an example from their sales page of a donkey looking for a home…
- Website: http://www.momsdonkeys.com/
- Contact: 916-803-9915
- Address: 4384 Godley Road Lincoln, CA 95648
Love That Ass Registered Miniature Donkeys
This ranch is a little different from the others. It provides donkeys as event or festival animals to help brighten up proceedings.
Breeders David and Kim Fuson are committed to producing colorful and outstanding miniatures.
Here’s how the website puts it…
- Website: http://ltafantasydonkeys.com/
- Contact: 619-772-7108
- Address: 2175 Buckman Springs Rd, Campo, CA 91906, USA
Mini G Farm
Located in San Bernardino, Mini G Farm and Susie Q’s Second Wind has been raising donkeys since the late 80’s.
Their Facebook page is frequently updated with news of their stock.
While their website also details the donkeys they have available with prices…
- Website: https://www.minifarmanimals.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Susie-Qs-Second-Wind-Mini-G-Farm-468953106596633/
- Contact: 951-240-8393
- Address: San Bernardino, CA
Wee Ass Haven
Wee Ass Haven is based in southern California. Owner Susan has 24 years experience observing and documenting wild burros. Her haven specializes in breeding mediterranean miniatures.
Here’s what they say on their sales page…
- Website: http://weeasshaven.com/
- Contact: 951-440-3082
- Address: 22720 Highview Ln, Moreno Valley, CA 92557, USA
Located 9 miles north of Red Bluff, in northern California, owner Dennis Robertson has been raising donkeys since 1978.
Specializes in true black and dark spotted.
- Email: Ranchorhea@yahoo.com
- Contact: 530-527-8912
- Address: 17005 Snively Road, Cottonwood CA 96022
Faithful Friends Mini Donkeys & Mules
Faithful Friends usually produce just under a dozen new foals each year. They focus on raising registered mini Mediterranean donkeys as family pets.
Situated in the foothill of Amador County.
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: 209-781-6525
- Address: 16003 Irish Hill Rd, Ione, CA 95640, USA
Shooting Star Acres
Owned by Leanne and Matt Toombs, Shooting Star Acres specializes in producing healthy, high quality foals of various varieties. They only produce a few jennets per year. Enquire to see what their plans are.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: 925-980-0170
- Address: 976 Happy Valley Rd, Pleasanton, CA 94566
Russell Ranch has two sites; one in Red Bluff and another in Whitemore, CA. They have a herd of over 40 donkeys, including jacks, miniatures and micro jennies.
They have foals and occasionally adults for sale throughout the year.
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: 530-472-6414
- Address: 31625 Grindley Ranch Rd., Whitmore, CA USA
Du Plessis Farms
This farm prides itself on its large gene pool and its extended pedigree miniatures. Lots of black, red and spotted types. Du Plessis has 25 years experience raising and breeding donkeys.
They are in central California, 7 miles west of Highway 99.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: 559-686-9763
- Address: 20257 Rd 52, Tulare, CA 93274
Knowing how and what to buy when looking for donkeys in California, given the choice, can be overwhelming. Here are some tips to help you make a better, more informed decision:
- Ask farms/ranches about their pedigrees and history and experience raising donkeys. Go with those in the know.
- Drive out and see the donkeys in person. Or ask for plenty of photographs prior to purchase.
- Check that breeders are affiliated with organizations like the National Miniature Donkey Association and the American Donkey and Mule Society
- Get a firm understanding of how donkeys are raised and nurtured by breeders. Look for those with philosophies you agree with.
Don’t be intimidated when it comes to buying a donkey. Take your time and do plenty of research.
Buying A Donkey In California?
If you’re keen on buying a donkey and don’t have much first hand experience owning one, make sure you check out our guides.
Image Credit: @anniespratt at Unsplash